keskiviikko 2. huhtikuuta 2014

Final Fantasies

Good thing about living in the U.S. is getting one's hands on games earlier than in Europe. Well, usually at least: Xenoblade Chronicles and Pandora's Tower needed some petitioning before they got those published here.

I've been playing FFX/FFX-2 HD Remaster lately. I've actually liked FFX-2 more, even though it is at times very, very girly and just exudes that "grrrrrl powah!" theme.But maybe because it is so upbeat, fast-paced and brimming with tons of extra stuff that I've come to like it more. Don't get me wrong, FFX has a lot of extra stuff, but all that becomes available after tens of hours of gameplay. After buying the game on Amazon and getting it delivered to my front door on launch day, I went -to quote Mika- "full potato" and bought the Bradygames official guide as well. That strikes me as a nice and easy way for them to capitalize on HD remastering an old game: just take the old guides, slap them together, update the year it was published and rake in the cash from idiots like me who have bought those same guides already in 2002 and 2004.

I've reassessed my disposition towards FF games after this HD remaster combo and my new top 5 is as follows:
  1. Final Fantasy VII - The Best. Always.
  2. Final Fantasy XII - I am still hoping for an HD remake. Love the battle system, well crafted world and mature story in this one. 
  3. Final Fantasy X-2 - Girl power has it's own charm. And more of Rikku? In HD? Yes, please!
  4. Final Fantasy X - Story goes full potato in it's last leg, but damned if it isn't a nice ride there. Turn-based battle system is great and lots to do in end-game.
  5. Dissidia 012 Duodecim Final Fantasy - Despite it's ridiculous name, the game itself is brilliant. This one is most likely the best brawler I've ever played. I know it jumps out of the 1-15 line of FF games and RPG genre in general, but there are elements from FF-series, RPGs and fighting games mixed in so wonderfully, that I can't help but love it.
FFXIV:ARR and FFVI get honorable mentions.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti